Ghostly Vegan Halloween Cupcakes
Who doesn’t love a cupcake? And this Halloween we think you’ll find these ghostly vegan creations frightfully moreish and spooktacular!
Made with charcoal powder to give them an intense black colour, they will be the centrepiece for your halloween feast.
They are fun to make with kids… just get ready for some mess.
Ingredients - Makes 12 Cupcakes
You’ll need a cupcake tray and 12 cupcake paper liners.
For the sponge:
- 1 scoop of vegan chocolate protein powder like this
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 330ml almond milk
- 250g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 120ml melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Charcoal powder*
*NB Activated charcoal powder is a great novelty powder to add to colour food and is safe to eat in small amounts. However it must be consumed in moderation as it can rid your body of vital nutrients, including vitamins and minerals. It is also note safe to consume if you are taking medication as it can prohibit the medication from being absorbed by the body.
For the icing:
- 115g room temperature vegan butter
- 375g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- A few drops of vanilla extract to taste
- 1/2-2 Tbsp non-dairy milk such as oat or almond depending on how stiff you want the icing
- A few drops of food colouring (go wild… black, orange, red. Make it as ghoulish as you like)
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius
- Beat the vegan chocolate protein powder, apple cider vinegar, almond milk and plain flour with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Blend the caster sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut oil, and charcoal powder.
- Combine both bowls and mix together until smooth. The mixture should be thick!
- Put cupcake liners in a cupcake tray and spoon in the batter
- Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes until golden brown and firm. Leave to cool before adding any toppings
- Beat together the vegan butter, icing sugar, salt, vanilla extract, non-dairy milk and food colouring to make the icing. If you want different colours, divide the icing into different bowls before adding colouring.
- Generously ice each individual cupcake and decorate with spooky decorations.
Share your cakes with us on Instagram!