BBQs are never really complete without a good kebab. And while the word might conjure up images of succulent meat pieces sizzling away to perfection, the truth remains that a kebab doesn’t necessarily have to be a meaty affair. And this easy-to-make and oh-so-delicious vegan tofu and mushroom kebab is a testament to that.
With just the right blend of spicy, tangy, and umami flavours these tofu kebabs are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. The soy, rice vinegar, and sriracha marinade adds a pop of tart and brings out the creamy meatiness of tofu and mushroom while slices of onion and courgette give the kebabs an added crunchy bite. Pair this kebab with a peanut dip and our vegan BBQ black bean burgers for a feast that even carnivores will love!
80ml low-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sriracha
½ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp garlic powder
400g extra firm tofu drained, patted dry, and sliced into 1-inch cubes
1 courgette, sliced into ½ inch discs
450g chestnut mushrooms, destemmed
1 red onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
Peanut Butter Sauce
5 ½ tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp coconut sugar
½ tbsp sriracha
¼ tsp ginger powder
14 tsp garlic powder
- Line a baking tray with kitchen towel. Place the tofu on top and cover with another layer of kitchen towel. Gently press down the tofu to remove excess water. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a mixing bowl take soy sauce, sesame oil, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, sriracha, ginger, and garlic powder. Mix until well blended.
- After 30 minutes, cut the tofu into half-inch cubes and transfer them into a mixing bowl. Pour 2/3 of the marinade and gently toss the bowl till tofu is well coated with the marinade. Let it marinate for one hour.
- Once the tofu is marinated, thread them onto vegetable skewers along with mushrooms, onion, and courgette. Brush the remaining marinade onto the vegetables and tofu.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Place the kebab skewers on top, brush the remaining marinade and cook for 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until the veggies and tofu are evenly browned and lightly charred on all sides.
- While the kebabs are grilling, in a mixing bowl take all ingredients for peanut sauce and mix until well blended.
- Once kebabs are cooked, take them out on a serving plate, and serve with lime wedges, peanut butter sauce and a sprinkling of coriander!