Rumour has it that Jennifer Aniston ate this for lunch every day on the set of Friends for ten years. Ten years! That's 2600 lunches!
We gave it a go and added a vegan twist... If it's good enough for Jen, it's sure good enough for us!
- 1 cup quinoa or bulgur wheat, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup mint, chopped
- ⅓ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup roasted and salted pistachios, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 lemons, juiced (about 5-6 Tablespoons)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa and water to a small pot and bring the water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Feel free to use bulgur if desired. Add bulgur and water to a small pot and bring the water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Drain off any access water. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, stir together cooked quinoa, cucumber, parsley, mint, red onion, pistachios, chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Serve immediately or let the salad chill in the fridge a couple hours before serving.
Store salad in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Keep an eye out on Instagram for Lottie giving it a go herself, @soulfulfoodco. Sadly no iconic haircuts for her ;)