This is a super simple pesto recipe made from fresh carrot greens, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, garlic, and oil.
There's no food waste around here 🙅🏼♀️
- 2 cups carrot tops no stems
- 1/2 cup basil leaves packed – no stems, optional
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, if you don't have these, try cashews, walnuts or almonds. To make a nut free vegan pesto, swap the nuts for sunflower seeds!
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a dry pan over low-medium heat (no oil), lightly toast the pine nuts or any other nuts you’re using. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
Cut off the carrot tops and wash the leaves. Pat dry using a kitchen towel, and place in a food processor.
Place all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until completely broken down, scrape off the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the olive oil gradually with the food processor running until you get a slightly emulsified sauce. Thin out with extra oil or water if needed.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. A thin layer of olive oil can prevent the pesto from oxidizing and turning brown.
Low waste tip: Try pouring into an ice cube tray and freeze for up to 3 months, just pop out to use!
Got a great low waste tip for us? Let us know on insta @soulfulfoodco.