Rhubarb Fool is a classic British pudding.
A spring treat for hundreds of years for royalty and commoners alike!
Incredibly easy (particularly if you use our little cheat), quick and dangerously moreish. Whether you’re looking for a classic British dessert to celebrate the Jubilee, or just something easy that makes the very best of the gorgeous pink rhubarb you see everywhere, you can’t go wrong with this.
It’s fool proof!
This recipe serves 4 generously
- 5 medium sized sticks of rhubarb, washed and chopped into inch long(ish) pieces
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 1 piece of stem ginger, chopped
- 1tbsp syrup from the stem ginger jar
- 1 500g pot of ready made vegan custard (our cheat! We love this one from Coconut Collab)
- 1 500g pot of coconut yoghurt from Coconut Collab
- Optional – chopped pistachios for crumbling on top
- Place your chopped rhubarb into a saucepan on a medium heat. Ideally they should still be a little damp from being washed.
- Add your sugar, ginger and syrup.
- Stir on a medium heat until it all turns to mush. Which is a technical term for this…
- Put to one side to cool. If you’re in a rush, put the saucepan into a sink of cold water.
- Once it’s chilled, blend your rhubarb mush into a gloriously pink goop. (Another technical term there, do try to keep up.)
- Place to one side and grab a large bowl. Fold your custard into your coconut yoghurt using a large metal spoon.
- Dollop in your rhubarb and use the same spoon to carefully fold the pink into the cream. Taking care not too mix too much and lose those wonderful rose ripples.
- Pop into the fridge until you’re ready to serve, and that’s it!
- Spoon into bowls at the table and top with chopped pistachios.
The Coconut Collab custard is what we call la crème de la custard.
Made with real vanilla, their custard is thick, creamy and it actually tastes of custard. Yes, it’s made from coconuts, but it doesn’t taste of coconuts!
Dairy free, soy free, gluten free and with less sugar than all other plant-based and dairy custards, this is an unmissable treat for all custard lovers.
What are you waiting for?
You’d be a fool to miss out on this one!