Vegan Sausage Rolls Recipe
With Greggs' vegan sausage rolls causing queues across the country, we decided to come up with our own version.
Pack a picnic, or deck out a buffet table with these moreish vegan sausage rolls, made with sweet potatoes, kidney beans and delicious spices!
We like to enjoy ours with mango chutney. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
Freeze any rolls you don’t want to cook straight away on a tray; once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag to save space. Next time you fancy one, simply bake from frozen, adding an extra 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 175g each), peeled and cut into medium- sized chunks
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 30g pack parsley, leaves chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- large handful black olives, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 320g sheets ready-rolled puff pastry - we like Jus Rol
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame or poppy seeds
- Heat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7, and line 2 baking trays with paper. Put the sweet potatoes in a large microwaveable bowl, cover and zap on high (800W) for 10 minutes until completely cooked. Mash well, then tip in the kidney beans and mash again to roughly break them up.
- Stir in the red onion, smoked paprika, cumin, parsley, lemon zest, tomato purée, black olives and garlic. Give everything a good mix and season generously.
- Unroll the first sheet of puff pastry and cut in half lengthways into 2 long rectangles. Form a quarter of the sweet potato filling into a sausage shape along the middle of one of the rectangles. Brush the borders with a little oil then roll the pastry over the filling to enclose. Use a fork to firmly press the edges of the pastry together, then using a sharp knife cut the roll into 6 pieces. Transfer to your lined baking tray, then repeat the process with the remaining pastry and filling, until you have 24 rolls.
- Chill the rolls in the fridge for 20 minutes – this will stop them bursting in the oven (they can also be frozen at this point). When you're ready to bake them, brush the tops and sides with the remaining oil and sprinkle over the seeds. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until deep golden brown. Serve with vegan condiments of your choice.
Don’t forget to tag us in your creations @soulfulfoodco
And, of course, you can always order our super easy vegan OnePot meals to be delivered to you anywhere in the UK*. The ultimate in convenience. Delivery is free on orders over £34.99. You can also pick them up in Tesco, Co-op and Ocado.